With world instability on the rise, there is a growing demand for survival properties. As a real estate professional, with over 20 years experience, I am witnessing this growing trend within my own office.
What is a survival property? A survival property is acreage that offers the landowner the ability to be self-contained. This includes generating ones own electricity, fresh water, food, and personal protection – in other words, the ability of living off the grid. More people are going green by growing their own fruits, vegetables, raising chickens and yes, hunting and fishing.
The expanding fear of natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis, and hurricanes along with rising terrorism and social unrest as we are witnessing now in countries like Great Britain, Greece and the Middle East have led some Americans to proactively protect themselves and their loved ones from these foreshadowing events.
Recently I visited with my associate, Mark Brown, owner and real-estate broker of Pioneer Associates located in Ketchum, Idaho with over 38 years of expierence in selling ranches, recreational and survival properties. Together, Mark and I specialize in sought-after recreational, sportsmen properties and ranches located throughout the northwest.
This summer, Pioneer Associates and apartments in Charleston WV has extra been busy with an increase of potential buyers from all over the US who are requesting ‘survival properties’. These buyers are successful, sophisticated, informed and motivated due to the world events.If you need more info about how to search for homes for sale in pearland tx sedonalakes.com
Native Californian and Real Estate investor, Hal McNee has been in search of the perfect survival property throughout Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. ” Water is a rapidly vanishing resource and anyone wanting this type of security should have a dependable water supply.”
With fresh water becoming scarce within our own country, it is easy to see why investors such as Hal McNee are on the hunt for the ideal property.
I asked Mark to describe the unique characteristics of survival properties.
- Water: A premium survival property must have a year-round fresh water source, such as well water, river, streams or lakes.
- Location: Typically these properties are at the end of rural roads, with limited accessibility. This limited access helps to protect oneself from unwanted visitors during a crisis.
- Self-Containment: Survival properties have the potential to be developed into fully self-sustained entities. Some even have their own landing strips. Generators provide electricity and now have state of the art solar generators called Solar Photovoltaics that allow for off the grid remote living.
Food: These unique properties must have the ability to grow, raise food sources, with hunting and fishing as a top requirement. Green houses that are made of Geodesic designs that allow the latest technology to grow food regardless of elevation or snow.
- Protection: As mentioned above, location offers a form of personal protection. The rise in gun and ammunition sales is a reminder of America’s right and desire to protect oneself and property.
- Sun: The ideal survival property would offer abundance of sunshine on average 250 plus days a year.
Having lived through the LA riots and witnessed the destruction first hand, plus with the current events of the world today, I realize it is important to be prepared in the event of an emergency in our own area.
Not all Americans are able to own one of these properties, but we can take the proactive steps to be prepared in case of a crisis. A good start is having the pantry filled with canned food, ample supplies of fresh water, flashlights, batteries, candles, cell phone, matches, and a first aide kit and of course the ability to defend yourself, loved ones and personal property.
Bulls & Beavers 2011 Copyright
For more information on how you can find a survival property contact Mark Brown of Pioneer Associates
You might like these articles too: